Critical thinking is the ability to assess an issue or situation, collect relevant information, conceptualize and analyze it to draw conclusions. A critical thinker is able to:
- understand the logical connections between ideas
- identify, construct and evaluate arguments
- detect inconsistencies and common mistakes in reasoning
- solve problems systematically
- identify the relevance and importance of ideas
- reflect on the justification of one's own beliefs and values
The combination of critical thinking with intuition enables a person to ‘fill the gaps’ and make inferences with incomplete information to lead to effective decisions.